Monday, March 2, 2009

Is it right to have certain rights?


About a week ago my wife and I watched as Hollywood dispersed some of its most coveted awards - Oscars. The film that dominated the night was without doubt "Slumdog Millionaire". I've yet to see the movie. I've yet to see any of the movies, actually, that received nominations. But I did listen to quite an interesting acceptance speech given by the actor who starred in the hit movie "Milk". Sean Penn, who won best actor for playing Harvey Milk, gave me a lot to think about with his well constructed words. To people who previously voted against homosexual marriage Penn said "Sit and reflect...antcipate great shame." He further stated, "We've got to have equal rights for everyone." Watch his speech here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnM8v9aaR0

I am in no way suggesting that people like Sean Penn should carry much weight in our decisions as responsible Christians. But, do people need to be given the ability to decide for themselves whether or not they can marry anyone they choose? Are we denying people their freedom of choice by not allowing them to be homosexually married? Or are we right in determining that because our Bible's condemn homosexual behavior that our government should, too?

It is not illegal for people to sleep around with others before they are married. Our laws do not forbid idol worship, greed, dishonoring the Sabbath, or even disobeying parents. So when do we need to draw the line? I guess I am trying to imagine how Christ feels about the whole issue as it pertains to whether or not this should be an actual law. I feel as though He offers us the ability to make choices in life. Joshua decided in the Old Testament that he and his house would serve the Lord. Judas decided that 30 pieces of silver was a worthy price for betraying his Rabbi. And for centuries humans have been making decisions that affect their lives, our world, and their eternity.

But hear this: I am in full support of God's sovereignty and in support of our freewill - I believe they coexist in delicate balance. If God hadn't chosen me I would never have been able to accept Him. God's ways are much higher than our ways, so for me to say that I completely understand this mystery would be a lie.

That being said, let's go back to Penn's words: "We've got to have equal rights for everyone". Do you think that people need to have this RIGHT? Or should it remain the right of the majority to determine what rights all people should have? The more I think about this the more confused I get.

What do you think?

No comments: