Monday, December 4, 2006

Mountains can be breathtaking. They can also become deadly. Mt. St. Helens provides an adequate example. She blew her top killing everything in her path and leaving rippling effects for months and years. It's always a good thing to be on top of the mountain. It feels great - I'm sure. But what about coming down? Coming back to the "real world"? I think that it probably sucks. Much like spiritual mountains. I hate being on top for a spell only to find myself unexpectedly tumbling toward the pits. I have felt this so many times that instead of it being unexpected it feels like a natural turn of events. But its not. It can't be. Jesus stayed strong. He stayed on top. There was not a time in the physical life of Jesus where anyone can say, "Man, why couldn't Jesus have done better?" because He always did the absolute best. He ruled the mountain. Me? I am but a tourist. Sure I vacation to the slopes from time to time, but only for a season. Soon enough the vacation ends. I inevitably discover a way to loose sight of the meaning of the pinnacle. What does it take to make the apex a home instead of a resort? For Jesus it took discipline. It required a life of obedience and sacrifice. He defined commitment. Jesus proved that high-rise living is indeed possible by devoting to the Father. He refused selfishness and shunned prideful living. For me this means becoming devoted in my personal time. If dwelling with the Father on a regular basis is to become a reality then I must reprioritize my words, thoughts, and life. God has got to become more than just a religion. He must become more than an acquaintance. God must be my heart's desire.

Jesus you know more than anyone else the requirments for holy living. You know that pleasing God or "staying on top is more than simply setting your mind to obeying the Word. It takes relationship. More than anything, God, this is my desire. I you to be the sole focus of my life. I hate living for myself and the world. I willingly and graciously choose to serve You out of love. Love is an action - not an emotion. So for me to make such a claim means, in my mind, that I must commit to doing more than just saying words. I must live. Perhaps my biggest barrier is self. I am torn trying to please myself. Fear drives me to think that I will not be happy without a substantial amount of income. Pride drives me to think that I deserve a substantial amount of income. I rationalize by telling myself that when I do strike it rich I will be generous with the money and make large contributions. I have trouble, however, tithing with what I make now. I know that I must forsake myself and somehow tap into Your desire for me to achieve true contentment. God, only You can provide true Life. Help me to see and focus on this Truth. Help me not to loose sight of You.

Lord, I commit to this week. I know that battles are in store for me. I can visualize the enemies asttacks. Satan seeks to destroy and form of friendship that we may share and I believe that he will stop at nothing to seperate us. Remind me to turn to You, instead of myself, for the ability to overcome any temptation that comes my way. Sanctify me by your Holy Spirit and grow me to be a man who desires true communion with You. Only You have the ability to defeat sin - the power that disconnects me from you - and only You can show me the way. Please, Jesus, hear my heart on this and light the path. Be my Guide. Amen.

No comments: